Thursday, May 3, 2012

More Than a Vacation

Wow! Spring Break feels like forever ago. So much has happened since then that I'm not sure where to even begin or if I can remember all the wonderful things I got to do.

Let's see... I got off of school on Thursday (my birthday) and had my birthday party that night with the most amazing friends a gal could have. I will definitely devote a whole post to that soon.

Friday morning, without delay, we headed to Raleigh. We attended the funeral of my cousin's grandfather, Robert. Even though I was not particularly close to him, my heart breaks for all those who were and for the many lives who now have to find a way to live on. He was a remarkable man of God, and I look forward to seeing him in Heaven one day. I try to remind myself, "Death is only hard for those left behind."

Friday night we met up with the Jordan family, the family of my now future brother-in-law. It was wonderful to catch up with them, since living in Charlotte we don't see them as often as we like.

Saturday was a sunny morning where I woke up and just lay in bed reading for a good hour with Bailey at my side. (P.S. the verb "lay" is quite complicated... I had to google it just to understand which tense/form to use, and it still sounds wrong)

Yes, a calm morning. A true rarity during the life of a junior in high school. Even Saturdays are not like this. Whether it is the SAT, work, or just lots to do, I never just get to lie in bed. (There I go again with that silly, complicated verb)

Needless to say, the little things mattered. That afternoon Nana and I went to look for prom dresses/ a dress for Krysti's wedding to no avail. I was not super ecstatic about the whole process. It is overwhelming and the prices often scare me away. Nana's patience was beyond appreciated.

Then I was able to visit Candice Craig!! She was willing to host this teenager despite being 6 months pregnant and surely having other things to do. My time spent with her, discussing my future with God's plan in mind, provided exactly what I needed. Candice's role in my life is larger than she realizes. I just hope God fills my cup as full as He did hers.

She took me out for a birthday dinner at Tyler's, a restaurant I'd never been to before. It was great! We got the yummiest pizza (and I don't even remember what was on it, but man it was delicious). I think I know where I want Nana and Papa to take me the next time they ask. Then Candice treated me to Cold Stone (just like I never have calm mornings, I never get to splurge at the luxury ice cream places). Thanks Candice!

Todd, Candice, and I all tried to watch Tin-Tin but I'm not sure one of us stayed awake to see the end. The animations were impressive though. We kept commenting on how real it looked. I still don't think I've accepted the fact that it wasn't real footage. Technology these days...

Sunday, I was able to return to the place where Candice and I met: Hope Community Church. The service reminded me of why I love that church. As the week before Easter service, Pastor Mike discussed those who were told that Jesus would rise, but still did not believe it was going to happen. What a reminder of our weakness and His power! Todd asked to pray over me before Candice and I went to work with the kids at second service. His power with words and his undeniable relationship with our Heavenly Father inspires me beyond any man I know. My future husband will certainly need to sit down with Todd and have a chat.

After church we had lunch at Noodles & Company followed by some girl shopping. Like I said, it's the little things...

Our time together ended all too soon, but I made sure to get one picture of us before our separation. Next time I see her, little Baby Craig will be here!



On Sunday night, Aunt April came to take me out for a birthday dinner. Let's see? This is birthday dinner #3 (and it wasn't the last). Saying I am spoiled is an understatement? I chose Red Lobster, simply because I find myself drooling over their commercials all the time and don't ever remember going. GREAT IDEA! Coconut-battered shrimp with pina colada dipping sauce. Oh, don't get me started... (and please don't mention the health, or lack their of, of my choice). It was heavenly, oh and there was their garlic cheese biscuits. Yes!

After  some great girl bonding time together in the car before the movie started, we went to see October Baby, a Christian moving full of heart-wrenching moments. It has been so long since AA and I have had time together, and I was reminded that our long absence should never be repeated. I will definitely be spending some time in Princeton this summer. :)

Monday= SUSHI with Nana and Aunt Debbie (birthday meal #4) Then some pedicures and back-massaging chairs with Aunt Debbie, our tradition. My Spring Break was such a reminder of all the wonderful people in my life. Aunt Debbie is definitely one of them.

After another attempt at prom dress shopping, Nana dropped me off at the Shermans. Jennifer has become a master cook now (in addition to being a Pampered Chef consultant) and is always posting yummy food pictures on her facebook. When I saw chicken, pineapple, and sweet potato skewers, I just knew I had to request that meal. Sure enough, Jennifer granted my wish. Birthday meal #5 was a hit!

I had a great time with the Shermans and will blog about the rest of my time with them in a later post.

My trip to Raleigh fulfilled everything I wanted it to and more. Seeing all these people I love reminds me how much I miss them all. However, I still can come home to Charlotte, thankful that we now live here. God has been working in me.

Enjoy your Friday! And the incoming heat!


K

No comments: