Just like every other summer, now is the time for my school year reflection. These blogs serve as a needed reminder of God's answered prayers. Before I began writing this, I stopped to read my Sophomore year reflection post. There, I discussed my worries for the coming Junior year. I was worried about AP Chem for sure and Spanish III. This is exactly what I love about my blog... now about 12 months later, I can come back and see the outcome of all the things that were going to fill my future.
So I will begin with class-by-class summaries:
AP English Language and Composition with Mrs. Stern- I can not lie and say that it was the English that I love and cherish. It was hard work! However, what makes this story such fun to share is that even though it was tough, I ended up pulling through. I'd write a paper, submit it, and stress for weeks about whether I had crossed all my t's and dotted my i's (figuratively). It's always so hard to know exactly what a teacher is looking for. Paper-return days (though they terribly increased my BP) always ended with a smile. Mrs. Stern prepared us so well for the AP exam that by the day of the test, we all felt prepared. I'm still waiting to see what I got. She also helped us with our graduation project and set up deadlines throughout the entire 8-month process so that we never felt too overwhelmed. By the end of the year, Mrs. Stern kept expressing how proud she was of me and re-encouraged me that English is still my thing. :-) AP English Literature next year may make all this seem easy but let's hope I can conquer English once again.
Spanish III with Ms. Demera- Let's just say that IT'S OVER!! No Spanish for me next year. Porque este clase es terminada, puedo sonreir. Still, it was nice to have a class with Meghan! I had both English and Spanish with her every morning which made Junior year far better than my expectations. Gah, I love that girl.
AP Chemistry II with Mrs. Gallagher- Definitely earns my FAVORITE CLASS award. I can't say whether it was because I loved the teacher, loved my classmates, or actually loved the subject... but for whatever reason, I looked forward to this class every day. It was hard and I had to study lots to convince myself that I could actually get an A in AP Chem and I DID! If one A means the most to me, it would be this one for sure. Had I not taken Chem, I never would have met Laura (my new big sister who has helped me grow as a person and as a child of God). Or Pooja (my fellow Junior who spent countless hours on the phone or facebook with me discussing labs, homework, etc.). Test days were always a little nerve-wracking but not quite as bad as test return days. Thankfully, by some divine intervention, I always surprised myself. Oh, and then there were lab days which always flew by since we were busy titrating, reacting, swirling, centrifuging, you name it! Mrs. Gallagher always had a surprise up her sleeve. For Christmas, we made peppermint ice cream. For a 'done with the AP test' reward, we made silver plated vases. And then as a goodbye gift, we made these tie dye shirts. Don't get me wrong though, we worked hard. I am not lying when I say that I wish I could take this class again: I just loved it!
Click to zoom.
AP Environmental Science with Mrs. Weghorst- I just have to laugh. What a silly class. With a final exam curve of 30 points and the loads of extra credit, this class accomplished its duty by filling my transcript with an earth science. Francesca and I had to do an extended field study and though a study of lichen does not excite me, I enjoyed spending time with her.
Yearbook with Mrs. Ferrigan AGAIN!!- I do love me some yearbook. And as a junior editor, I stayed busy with editing spreads and picking up slack wherever I was needed. This coming year I will be co-editor in chief. This is the year I have been waiting for and I cannot believe it is finally here.
Honors Pre-Calc with Mrs. Williams- I don't usually consider myself a math geek but in high school they make it easy to love since there is always a black 'n white answer. The class was full of crazies and we were all a little rowdy but somehow we learned what we needed to and excelled on the final. I had this class first semester (and though it was often annoying at the time), I missed it. Very little homework, pretty straight forward tests, etc.
Honors U.S. History with Mr. Holt- You would think this would be an interesting class. The story of our country and all. But no matter what a teacher does, I just can't find an interest in history. There's always more to learn and even if you studied all your notes and the whole textbook you may not know the exact question that was worded in a convoluted way. I did struggle with history but there was a light at the end of the tunnel... no history next year. Mr. Holt was a good teacher but this chick just doesn't thrive in this element.
All in all, I had a great Junior year. They all say that if you can just get through Junior year you will be set. The really late nights (and sometimes into the am) or 5-hour study talks (with myself) to ensure a good grade will not be missed. I don't have faith that Senior year will be much easier (plus with college apps and all) but next year I am only taking classes that I WANT to take. AP Calc, AP Bio, Yearbook, and English.
There were a lot of fun memories that occurred this year that weren't within the classroom. Of course, PROM. And that I got a job. Or that Camille got engaged!! Or nights at Scarowinds. Or strengthening friendships. Or being a Junior Marshal. 2012-2013 really was a great year.
In last year's post, I spent a lot of time talking about being "the new kid." This year, there was none of that. I feel more comfortable around my friends and know a good portion of the people in my class. It's impossible to know all 500 and some of them, but that means there is always someone new to meet. I do officially feel like an AK kid and my Leesville days are only a distant memory. My Knight pride has come and I'm willing (but not quite ready) to wear that purple robe in 11 months.
Wow, I still am in disbelief that it is over. Where did this year go?? Senior year, please slow down. This home-body would really appreciate it. I am so NOT ready for college.
On to college planning, yearbook editoring, microscopes, and crazy equations...
But for now, it is summer! Let us not forget. I'm enjoying the heat, babysitting, working, scrapbooking, hanging out with Meghan, SYTYCD, Raleigh visits, etc.
Summer is the best reward! Enjoy yours!
K

No comments:
Post a Comment