Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Touring My Future

How crazy it is the think that in the next 6 months I will be deciding what colleges to apply to, hearing back to see if I was accepted or denied, and choosing which school to actually attend. In my own mind, I am still the Mommy's little girl that wants to be able to stay home and never leave. Still, I know that God has big plans for me beyond the safe walls of my family.

With that said, the college search has begun! We did visit Davidson a while back but that was just a personal tour (we didn't get to learn about the school). Honestly, I think Davidson is out. I've decided that 2,000 students is just too small. But that means we must keep looking.

Mom scheduled us a tour of the University of South Carolina one Tuesday in April. College visits are actually excused absences from school (one of the few reasons that are). The 1.5 hour drive wasn't bad at all. If you just keep driving straight off the highway you will end up right at the campus welcome center.

The morning half was guided by a senior girl. She took us into some dorms, around the historic horseshoe, into the library, and into some classrooms. Everything felt very "collegey" and I was still not grasping the fact that this tour is for me. I, Kelsey, will be attending college next year. Ah!

Before lunch we met up with Haley, my good friend from church. She is a freshman at USC this year and has raved about how much she loves it there. Just that she is there makes USC all the more attractive as a school. She showed us the brand new honors dorms (which are arranged suite-style). The living arrangements are a high priority when I am considering schools so USC gets some extra bonus points for having new dorms.

Mom and I had lunch at a little cafe on campus. We each had a different kind of pasta- both were DELICIOUS! Then, because we had to splurge on our little outing, we got a huge slice of this peanut butter/toffee/I-don't-know-what-was-in-it cake. Literally, it is the yummiest dessert I have ever tried in my entire life. In the past few months since our visit, every dessert I have tried has been called "yummy BUT not as yummy as the USC cake." Freshman 15 may be an issue if I end up going here.

We then had a meeting with the Honors College representative. First, though, we had to get totally lost and have a very kind student help us once again. Everyone was so friendly. I'm not really sure what all we learned at the meeting, but the lady did give us a packet with potential scholarship opportunities.

Another interesting bonus about USC is that every Tuesday they have a farmers' market on the street that runs through campus. Here, students can buy fresh produce and food. They had music playing on the street, student activities, and free giveaways. And YES! This happens every single Tuesday. How cool is that? Mom and I bought some kettle corn (and of course it is now titled the best popcorn I have ever tasted). Haha!

After buying a cute pink USC t-shirt, Mom and I toured the Strom Fitness Center. It is a new state-of-the-art fitness facility full of everything an athlete (and non-athlete like me) could want. A full gym, basketball courts, racket ball rooms, spa, health center, outdoor pool, indoor pool, rock climbing wall... need I say more?! At least they have a great place that I could go to try to burn off all the calories from their scrumptious food.

The following weekend, we saw Nana and Papa at the beach. Papa attended USC way-back-when and definitely supports the idea of his granddaughter going there. We both wore our Carolina shirts to dinner that night. 


I still have no idea where I will be. I am keeping my options open and will wait to see where I am accepted and what kind of scholarship money each school gives me. Prayer that I will have assurance while making these decision in the coming year would be much appreciated.

~K

No comments: