Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grooms

With all the wedding buzz flying around my head lately, I’ve been witness to the amount of work and time it takes to plan this very special day. Hours turn into days, days into weeks, and weeks into months to plan one single event. It’s the American culture to put all this effort into this blessed occasion. Men (but even more so, women) looked forward to this day for years. Girls expect it to be one of the best days of their lives. It molds their actions day by day. They may spend years dating to find the right guy to make their wedding day perfect. It’s easy to get caught up in the wind and dream about the day I will be the bride.


Thankfully, I already have a Groom. A Groom who will be more than thrilled to see me come his way. A Groom who has been busy my entire life helping me become the best Kelsey I can be. A Groom who did not vanish after my many rebellions. A Groom who knows the inside of my heart and loves me the same.


Jesus.


Devotion after devotion tries to engrain in my brain that Jesus must be the center of my life. I hear this but don’t exactly know how to change. But I do know that only he will fulfill all my desires, not a boyfriend or spouse.


Jesus, after all, does spend a lot of time on me. Hours turn into days, days into weeks, and weeks into months all to prepare me for that very special day. The day when I will be perfect (but not because I’m wearing a white gown with professionally done makeup and hair) but because I will have been washed clean of all my sin. Surely, it will be even more wonderful than a wedding. Yet, I don’t think about my heavenly homecoming near as often.


Knowing that I have a guaranteed Groom who will love me no matter what has become music to my ears. One of the devotions I was reading talked about how when each of us enter heaven all the angels will look to Jesus to see the smile on his face (just like if you want to see joy, look at the groom’s face when the bride walks down the aisle). This image readjusted my thinking about the day I get to go home. It is so easy to get entangled in the ways of this world. Instead, I want to be preparing every day of my life for the most important day of my eternity. I want to be growing closer to Him, finding people who advance my walk, inspiring others to live for Him, possessing all the fruits of the spirit, etc. These are the preparations that will make my homecoming day all the more special. No event, as wedding planning proves, will be incredible and memorable without some prep work.


Of course, I still want my earthly groom. And my wedding. But thinking about things from a different perspective helps me prioritize my desires.


In this same devotional, the author poses some questions. They opened my eyes to how ill-equipped I am for any sort of relationship. There is much work that must be done.


Do I find it difficult to overlook the shortcomings of others?


                I hate to say this, but yes. It’s a problem I’m well aware of and need to mend.


Do I have a hard time accepting blame?


                Again, yes. I’m a stubborn girl who will argue my stance until they surrender and say “You’re right.” This is far from Godly behavior.


Am I able to live peacefully with those around me?


                I’d like to say yes. And for the most part, I believe that is an honest answer. My parents and I get along really well. Camille and I have the stereotypical sister relationship. My friends act as though they enjoy me. Yet, “peace”fully is a difficult adverb. I’m opinionated. I’m impatient. I’m sassy. All things that do not yield true peace.


This reality check is somewhat painful. Brutally honest, too. My vices exist and they will always get in the way of my relationship with my Groom. And they could also get in the way of my relationship with my future groom. May my realization be the motivation I need to begin a transformation.


I do not hesitate when I say that my God is good. I know this. From experience, from testimonies, from the Bible. I know His plan for each of us is perfect and better than we can imagine. The lenses we look through are fogged with Earth’s misconceptions and only God can see the clear image. I must trust Him with all things.


Senior year.


College decision.


Financial aid.


Boys.


You name it.


Just felt like I needed a sentimental post today. For myself, as always. I can only pray that when I blog of such things, it provides a concrete accountability to change for the better.


For those who read my blabber, God bless! You are too sweet.


~K





No comments: