Thursday, January 16, 2014

God at Work ~ January News

The dawn of a new semester of college, I will admit, can be a little scary. Just when I thought I had things figured out in my fall classes, I’m done with those and moving on to a whole new schedule. However, I have already been witnessing several things fall into place this month. I am excited for my future, now more than ever before. I see God working.

Yes, God is working through what I have been working on.

Last semester, I began the application process to become a volunteer at a pregnancy clinic in Raleigh. People ask how I found out about this place and to be honest, it’s kind of a funny story: I was trying to follow the GPS to get me back to campus and took a few wrong turns in the maze of Crossroads parking lots. I remember being frustrated and did not have extra time to be roaming through the shopping center’s streets. The GPS finally took me out the back way and on my way home, I drove by this clinic. I saw the sign and I wondered what they did. I thought about how neat it would be if I could get involved. I went home and googled their site. I emailed the director asking about volunteer opportunities. A few days passed and she responded.

And now after an application, a few interviews, and lots of recommendation letters, I am a volunteer in-training, strengthening my abilities to work with women in crisis. It’s quite clear why God allowed me to get turned around backwards in the parking lot that day. He needed me to take a different route!

Then on Sunday, I found out I had been chosen as the service committee head for my sorority. I had no idea why I was qualified or even considered. I’m a freshman who knows very little about what should occur at a committee meeting and I did not seek interest in a leadership position. Not yet, anyway. But God works His magic regardless. The following Monday, after I had finished some training at the clinic, the director asked me to look through their contacts and referrals. After a few minutes, it hit me! Here is a big binder of all things service-related. All these non-profits and other organizations need volunteers. And who better to help than our Christian sorority!? A day of wondering why I was appointed as service committee head led to a sudden realization. God put two and two together. He really is so cool!

This is only the beginning, but if I follow through, I am hopeful that my sisters and I can make an impact!

Another opportunity seemed to fall in my lap and onto my heart when I went to a Global Health Initiative meeting right before Christmas break. I walked in to a very empty room wondering if I had come to the wrong place. The second presentation made me so excited. A girl shared about her experience working in Peru at a medical clinic and shared more information on how we can get involved. I talked with her after and she said that they could emphasize my clinic rotations to spend the most time in labor and delivery. It all just seemed too good to be true.

I wanted to sign up right then. I did more research, talked with Mom and Dad (but more of a “telling” conversation than an asking), and applied over break. Maybe the 20th or so of December. I was told I would hear back in one week. After two, I was impatient. With the holidays and all, I told myself to give it some more time. Then the third week passed, and still no contact. I was sad. Worried too. Maybe I’m not going to go to Peru after all.

But God always laughs when I doubt him. I will not be able to count the number of times he says “Kelsey, Just wait and see!” by the time I get to heaven.

Camille and I were both at work yesterday. The kids were all napping and we were able to chat. These are my favorite days at work, when the two of us get to work together in the 2 year old classroom. I asked her how she was doing and she looks up and says “I got the job!” with a smile. Of course, I congratulated her, asked more about it, etc. Then I said, “How long have you known?” (because I was getting ready to scold her for not informing her little sister sooner). And she told me that she just now received the email. So I got to be one of the first people she told (besides those she texted first).

Since her plans were falling into place, it made me (selfishly) think about mine and how I still had not heard back about the Peru trip. I decided to check my email just to see. I do this probably ever hour anyway, but I had a faint hope that maybe today would be the day. And sure enough, right there in my inbox, is a big congratulations email that I have been accepted into their 5-week program. After almost a month of waiting, this is the news I wanted to hear!!

So Camille and I were able to celebrate together, the two of us both enjoying the “end of anxious waiting.” Seeing God’s timing now makes me sad I was ever so impatient. The fact that we could share our news together during naptime at work is a day I won’t forget.

And I’m not letting myself think about the fact that her new job means she won’t be my daycare buddy anymore. Maybe avoiding that reality will make it easier to accept.

God is definitely at work in our lives. He always is, but we don’t always see it. These past few weeks have really shown me that He is here. He is active. He is good.

I have been looking into what else I am going to do with my summer and I know I need to get my CNA certification soon. I researched a few places and found a health center in Charlotte that has one that I could fit in before I depart to Peru. Perfect! That will allow me to live at home with Mommy and Daddy before I leave for a month. Things are coming together! God is a mighty fine director!!

There still is a lot of hurdles, but I am staying positive. I will have to do quite a bit of fundraising to go to Peru and get my CNA certification. I am determined to use these next few months as a way to strengthen my trust in God. He will come through. He always does!

God has given me the opportunity to use my passions and gifts to help the less fortunate. He has “established the work of my hands for me” (Psalm 90:17b) and I am delighted in the fact that “the favor of the Lord our God rests on us” (Psalm 90:17a).

So Cheers to the future. Cheers to trusting God. And Cheers to celebrating Him each and every day!


Life is hard, but we are blessed! 

No comments: