Woah! Woah Woah! Today marks the last day of February, and I haven't blogged once this month. What has gotten into me? College, I guess!
Camille warned me that second semester is harder. Not that I ignored her when she said that, but I just didn't understand it for myself then. Now I do! These winter months on campus are rough! And I definitely caught the January blues for several weeks. Not homesickness (because there is still no place I'd rather be), just stuck in a rut of feeling unproductive and just kinda down. Can't really explain it myself. I have a lighter class schedule which makes for more procrastination and more laziness. The weird thing is, I still feel busy. Busy yet lazy. Makes no sense!
February, however, has definitely been on the upswing. Still have my 1.5 mile walk to class in 30 degree weather most mornings, but I can feel the dreariness lessening. Each weekend this month has been full.
The first weekend I went to Greensboro with Nana and Papa to cheer on Taylor in the Distinguished Young Women Scholarship program. It was so wonderful to be back in the world of Junior Miss. I have the best memories of going to Junior Miss pageants with Nana throughout the years and love that this is something we both enjoy and can do together. So thankful Nana and Papa were willing to take me and make a little vacation weekend out of the event! I also spent some much overdue family time with Mrs. Mary Ann, Blaire, and the Hnatek family- and enjoyed befriending Taylor's friend Tracy. I miss everyone so much while I'm in college, and this weekend reminded once again why I love them. Both nights of the program were incredible, and the weekend could not have ended better! Taylor won!!! We all started crying when they called her name! A moment I will never forget!
The following weekend we had a Mister Sister sorority event for our Valentine's social. Any night that includes dressing up, hanging out with my favorite girls, pictures, and a Cookout run is sure to be great. Loved getting pictures with my future roomies too!
The following Wednesday came Snowpocalypse 2014! I'm not kidding! The total snowfall wasn't unheard of for NC, but it all just came down so fast! Within 30 minutes, everything was piled high with snow. We had the whole rest of the week off of school (which definitely didn't help my laziness issue). I prayed for snow, and I got it! Being in dorms is just different though. All the snow day traditions or being able to run over to the Shermans for sledding and hot chocolate movie nights was what I wanted. I felt like such a granny just sitting there watching the snow. I'm always cold and going out to "play" in the snow just didn't seem tolerable. Especially since my ski gear wouldn't fit in my closet here. I did do my fair share of walking through the snow which truly was beautiful. Not to mention, I loved waking up to this view.
That weekend, the roads finally cleared enough for a trip home to Charlotte. A quick visit but a good one! Comedy show on Friday, babysitting, and a very fitting sermon at church all made the weekend draw to a close all too soon (despite the fact that I hadn't been to classes in 5 days!).
I don't like to say that I'm the type of college kid who is just "living for the weekends." Every day has something I love. Monday I go to the clinic. Tuesdays I can sleep in. Wednesdays I make money. Thursdays are my rest day since all assignments were due that morning. Living in my dorm with my best friends is like a constant sleepover where every day feels sort of like a Friday. Then there are multiple sorority events a week where I get to bond with my sisters. I have grown so much closer to so many girls these last few weeks. I'm so thankful for SAO!
But there is still no one that can top my two favs! Hannah and Sydney prove time and time again to be the best friends a girl could want. Sure, they make fun of me without fail. But when I need them to shake some sense into me or lift my spirits, they do! They proved that this past week more than ever!! I think I even suffer from withdrawal when we don't see each other for a day or two. Next year is going to be a challenge not having them by my side.
But last week, I really was "living for the weekend." I had several tests which makes for a long week, so the beach was calling my name... loudly! I needed an escape, a break, a chance to just forget about things. And the weekend was just that! Perfectly restful and wonderful! One of my sorority sisters and now one of my closest friends Molly came along. She drove though so saying "came along" isn't really proper wording. :) Love love love when my friends are willing to take the wheel. I'm so spoiled!
The weather was still quite chilly but after a 6 mile walk on the beach, the sun popped out just long enough on Saturday for some beach reading and relaxing. Both of us got burnt on our faces! Oops!
One would think two girls would run out of stuff to talk about being together for three full days. Nope!! Molly and I had so much to fill each other in on. We contemplated life together! We dreamed about our futures! We reflected on our pasts! I am confident she would agree that both of us are stronger in our faith and our friendship as a result of this vacation.
Plus, I was itching to take some stereotypical sorority girl pictures on the beach! I forgot the real camera (which made me so sad) so the iPhone had to step it up. I love these pictures almost as much as I love this girl!!!
This last week of February tried to trick me into thinking warmer weather was coming. I'd wake up to the brightness of the sun and look out my window wanting to go tan by the pool. Then, I'd walk outside and it would still be 40. Such a tease! But at least it's sunny and happy here!! And Spring is on it's way.
Even a semester sprinkled with laziness and constant shivering still proves to fly by! I cannot believe March is this weekend! Hope all of you made amazing February memories too! Hugs!
K






No comments:
Post a Comment