So I've jumped through time here (skipping birthday and formal and such) to dive into blogging all about our 8 night cruise across the Caribbean. This marks my longest cruise yet and certainly the BEST. I'm not sure many vacations can top this one. Amazing places with amazing people!
I wish I had kept a journal of what we did each day or the jokes that made us laugh so that I would have them ready to share with you all. The bits and pieces that come to me as I sit down to write today will be what ya get!
Day 1
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Highlights: All aboard & grand welcome
An early morning (like 4am early) commenced our vacation. THE day had arrived!! After months and months of anticipation! Our flights were perfectly uneventful and we touched down in Puerto Rico, along with some rain showers. We enjoyed a late lunch in the Windjammer and then acquainted ourselves with our new home for the week. After "watching what I ate" for almost four months, I was ready for a week of all-out splurging. Our first dining room dinner hit the spot. The carrot cake with vanilla ice cream was one of my favorite desserts of the trip.
We went to the top deck to watch us set sail that evening. Sydney and I met this Puerto Rican boy who tried to give us a culture class on all things Puerto Rican. Once we were away from land, with ocean surrounding us on all sides, we left the top deck and headed to the evening show. Dancing, singing, and grand welcoming officially got me in the vacationing mood!
I don't have an individual scrapbook page for this day, but we did take a few selfies on the plane and as we walked around the deck. We took several more selfies throughout the week. And to be honest, there's no shame! I love having these pictures, even if they do look silly!
Note: You can click on any scrapbook page to zoom.
Day 2
St. Thomas, U.S.V.I
Highlights: Snuba diving off the beach
Mother's Day was spent in the St. Thomas, but us "children" left the parents/grandparents and went on a Snuba excursion. The beach was beautiful, but we didn't see many fish. The occasional fish brought excitement just because it was something living. We did get to go under the water a little bit, using oxygen. Let me just say that it is not as easy as it looks. I kept psyching myself out that I couldn't breath and my chest would hurt. Mentally telling myself to just relax was the only thing that helped, but still the fear would keep seeping back. I'm proud that I did it and know that it will be easier if I ever get to do it again.
After lunch back on the ship, we laid out (and napped) in the Solarium, the covered adult-only pool. Yes, Sydney and I are now considered adults by cruise-standards. I guess that just means that we are expected to have moved passed the "being annoying" phase and won't disturb the peace of the adult pool. I can't really guarantee that, but it was fun to feel 'grown up.'
The first formal night meant spending lots of time getting ready for dinner. We enjoyed our three-course meal (and the bread!!) more than is probably normal. I love food!
The Royal Caribbean dancers performed a show tonight. I think Sydney slept through the whole thing. Neither of us really knew the songs, but I'm not one to pass up free included entertainment.
Day 3
Basseterre, St. Kitts
Highlights: Ziplining through the rainforest
A wet day welcomed us into St. Kitts, but that didn't stop the fun. Honestly, it made the day more exciting as we took the rain like champs in the back of a pick up truck. I could not wait to zipline!! This ziplining didn't even compare to when we did it in Jamaica. Much more beautiful scenery and much more secure seats that removed all the fear. Sydney videoed everything with her GoPro and I had the camera with me the whole time, even as I was flying through the air.
We toured an old sugar cane refinery (I think that's what it was) and met a monkey on the way back to the ship. Then another nap by the pool. I was out! Being able to nap (and have nothing else on my mind or on my to-do list) is the best feeling of vacation.
After dinner and the show, we changed into comfy clothes and then joined the family up in the Vortex for the 80s/90s party. I think I know more of those songs than current music so we had tons of fun making complete fools of ourselves on the dance floor. One of the MANY reasons I love Syd: she never fails to act like a goof with me when the music starts playing. Even Mom and Camille (and Dad for a song or two) joined us. Definitely the most exciting evening aboard the cruise!
Day 4
On the ocean blue
Highlights: Zumba, watching the belly flop contest, pina
coladas by the pool, and putt-putt on the top deck
Today we slept in a little and then convinced ourselves to do some kind of exercise by participating in Zumba on the pool deck. Afterwards, we laid in the shallow pool and watched the belly flop contest. Let's just say a close up view isn't "prime seating" for this type of event. A lot of belly and not enough clothing. Haha! After a hot hour in the sun (working on that tan today), watching the drink-making competition, and cooling off with pina coladas, we (Sydney, Mom, and I) ate a quick lunch then met Quint and Papa on the top deck for some putt-putt. It was so beautiful being up there seeing the vast blue ocean behind us.
Keeping our day full and fun, Sydney and I then went to test our luck at Bingo with Nana. We weren't lucky today but at least we can say we tried. Not really sure I have a newfound love for the game, but I can say we did it!
Dinner tonight followed by a show. Maybe tonight was the comedy show but to be honest, I can't remember.
Day 5
Oranjestad, Aruba
Highlights: Snorkeling at the Antilla shipwreck & lunch
aboard Mi Dushi and then touring the gorgeous streets of the city (and taking
pics with a film camera)
We had some time to kill before the poolside party under the stars, so Sydney and I tried to take our first swing at Casino life. To say we are novices would be an understatement. I was terrible. I know it's mostly luck, but still. I think I broke two different slot machines. Okay, okay, I didn't really break them; they just didn't like to work for me. Sydney had much better luck than I did. Gambling isn't really my thing, but I wanted to try something new now that we are old enough to play!
Day 6
Willemstad, Curacao
Highlights: Calm morning on the beach followed by touring
the streets of the city (and this time we remembered to bring the camera!)
I think Sydney and I were both ready for a lazy day on the beach. A boat took us over to a beach where we spent the morning soaking up some sun and walking along the beach. I could go on for hours about how much I loved having Sydney by my side this entire week. Every time I say "we" in this blog, that is who I am referring to: me and her! I always had someone to go with me wherever. My partner-in-crime and my 24/7 buddy made this trip the amazing one that it was. Sydney really does, whether she will admit it or not, make me a better person. I've got tons of room for improvement: to be more patient, more quick to listen, and slower to complain. But Sydney, just by being her wonderful self, reminds me to be a better version of myself. I love her more than she will ever know! Not just because she can do my hair and eye makeup and let's me borrow her clothes, but because she is willing to be my friend. If I had a clone, I would not be able to handle myself for 8 days straight, so the fact that Sydney could and did makes me forever grateful. This friendship means more to me than other friendships I've had in the past. I mean it when I say that I can tell her anything and she will love me through it. I can only hope she knows that the same is true in reverse.
There just aren't enough words to express how thankful I am that God crossed our paths this year! LOVE YOU, SYDNEY!!
And back to cruise recap... we spent the second half of our day in Curacao touring the city. We had so much fun in Aruba and wanted to do it again. I loved the Dutch feel of this island! I felt like my travels had taken me farther than the Caribbean. We did some more souvenir shopping and walked across the floating bridge and through town. Every minute spent with Sydney in these incredible places gave me a reason to smile!!
Tonight was our second formal night! And thanks to Sydney's skills and wardrobe, we both arrived to dinner all fancy (but still ready to eat ourselves full). That Pistachio ice cream was calling our names!
I can't remember if this was the night we went back up to the Vortex to dance again. Whatever evening it was, we showed up and hardly anyone was there. It filled in a little bit, but Sydney and I decided to groove despite the emptiness. We agreed that since we would never see these people again anyway, that it was okay to make fools of ourselves. We danced to all sorts of songs and even did a few of the line dances we learned this year. I know that nights like these will be the ones I remember back on when I'm older and say "oh, how fun it was to be young!"
Day 7
On the ocean blue
Highlights: Sleeping in, an interesting lunch group, and poolside mango pina coladas
Day 8
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Highlights: Bus tour through Old San Juan and lunch at a
local restaurant before heading to the airport
Our last day of vacation was surprisingly just as full of activities as all the rest. We left the ship that morning, but then received a personal bus tour around the city, stopping at the beach, historic sites, and the shopping area. I'm curious if where I will be in Peru will have a similar feel.
Sydney was flying out to California from there so having to separate in the airport was quite sad. I felt empty not having her by my side as I boarded the plane home. At least it wasn't a big, stinky person that filled her seat.
We all made it home safely and I spent a few days in Raleigh before heading back to the Queen City. I've enjoyed my one week off before CNA classes start. My lazy days were spent scrapbooking (all these cruise ones took awhile), tanning, reading, and simply enjoying having nothing to do. And my Sydney withdrawal was remedied when I was able to join her and her family at Smith Mountain Lake this past weekend for Memorial Day!
I know I am blessed, but this vacation (both the things we were able to do and the people I was able to be with) has revealed 100 more things to thank God for! Could not have asked for a better start to my summer!
K


















No comments:
Post a Comment