Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pretending to be..

...A 1st Grade Teacher and a Dance Studio Instructor and Owner
On Thursday April 23rd, Leesville offered a Job Shadow day for us to go out and learn about possible careers. I knew I wanted to do something with teaching, as well as job shadow Mrs. Lindsay from Carolina Dance Center. Lucky for me, I got to do both. Kate, "my little sister", seemed like a great way to find a teacher to shadow. Ms. Kronen, Kate's teacher, kindly welcomed me into her 1st grade class at Sycamore Creek Elementary. I never really considered teaching a grade that young but I was surprised at how well I liked that age. Ms. Kronen said that this class was chatty but I didn't think so at all. They were great and I had the opportunity to walk around and help kids with their poetry, math, shapes, etc. It was fun to see each child's skills and to encourage their work. I also was able to shadow a 4th grade class for about 30 minutes and I still think that age is right for me. They seem slightly more mature. You can teach and feel like what you are saying is going into the child's brain, and they can understand sarcasm, which is always a plus. Thank you Ms. Kronen for such an awesome experience. She answered all of my questions before I even had to ask any. And I was able to eat in the teachers lounge..wooo! :) That was a blast. And being in a brand new, high tech school also encouraged my teaching dreams.
Then straight from Sycamore I headed over to Carolina Dance Center to job shadow the best dance teacher in the world. I see her everyday teaching dance class but I wanted to learn more about owning a dance studio and all the work that goes into it. I have concluded that I do not think I have what it takes to own a studio, however, I still want to teach at a studio...even if its just a few classes. I was able to ask a lot of questions and I received a lot of answers. We also discussed my dance future and where I could possibly go in the years to come. She was very honest about it saying that I very likely could be in the advanced girls class before I graduate however I will not be accepted into New York City Ballet. Which is all music to my ears, since I have no care to go to NYC Ballet. I just want to become great, right here in CDC. Mrs. Lindsay is such a fun person to be around and I hope I can be like her and soon, although that is a lot to ask. Another cool thing I got to do was sit in on a ballet class that is the level I want to be in. It gave me hope that I could be in that level soon. Oh and by the way, Mrs. Lindsay is having a baby boy and is due on July 27th. Isn't that exciting. (And she is still doing splits.) I thank God every night for giving me such a great studio so close to my house and for giving me Mrs. Lindsay so I never lose the passion I have for ballet.
Anyway, Busy but fun day!!! I loved Job Shadowing both of these miraculous ladies. I still am UNDECIDED about my career but I have a few more years to debate about this topic. Thanks again to Mrs. Lindsay and Ms. Kronen for opening their hearts out to me so that I could learn more about what you do each day.
Many more posts to go...3 to be exact... AHHH! Help Me!
Hehe!
Audios!








No comments: