Friday, July 5, 2013

July Fourth Traditions

Every since 2005, July 4th meant lots of time with my Sherman family. And nothing was going to stop me from changing that this year. 

On July 4th Eve, we enjoyed some time doing Just Dance 4, watching hilarious youtube videos on the Apple TV, and catching up on 6 months of being apart! Jennifer and Bryan made Chilhetti (Chili-Spaghetti) with garlic bread and broccoli. Only at the Shermans do I get spoiled with this meal! 

For the big day, Jennifer's family came over to celebrate for a cookout filled with all good Southern eating! Billie's buttered potatoes, chicken on the grill, pasta salad, homemade ice cream (the best!!), cupcakes, need  I continue?? We spent time outside on the back patio as Walker and Aaron played in the pool. Kate and Carrie taught me how to do the "When I'm Gone" cup thing. Ashley, Kate, and I danced like crazy to some of our favorite Disney songs! 

Once the day had settled into night, it was time for fireworks!!! This year, we tried Brier Creek's fireworks. And I'd say we all agreed it was a success. We got a perfect seat on the lawn and played CatchPhrase as we waited for the sun to set and the show to begin. Bryan and Aaron ran off for a long time and came back with candy, candy, candy! I'm embarrassed at how much I ate, AFTER I had already had a cupcake and ice cream for dessert! 

When we got home, we played a few rounds of Telestrations (a telephone-pictionary game) and laughed hard at how a sewer rat becomes a sinking cat, flamingos turn into ducks, and half-brothers turn into bi-racial people which turn into bangs. 

And if you thought the party stopped there, we headed outside for some sparklers. Jennifer caught some really neat pictures of us drawing in the air. 

It really was the perfect day! 

Click to zoom.

For my final day of this Sherman stay, Aaron laid with me on the couch telling me how he doesn't want me to leave. The whole weekend he would randomly interject how he didn't want Friday to come because that meant I was leaving. He knows how to make me feel loved!!! He is growing up way way way too fast. He promised that he will still be excited for me to come when he is 15. I wish I had that on video to prove it to him in 8 years. But I will love on him as much as I can while he'll let me. Another of the many reasons I'm glad I'm coming back to Raleigh.

And Kate, my goodness! She is so tall and so old now. She starts middle school on Monday. I guess I still picture her as my "little" sister but she really isn't "little" anymore. I look forward to seeing her more often and having some girls' nights out together! I'm ready!!

I must also thank Jennifer and Bryan for allowing me to be a part of their celebration and treating me to so many yummy meals, great laughs, and unforgettable memories!! I love you all!!

But without further adieu, Happy Independence Day and a special moment of recognition to the all the men who have sacrificed their lives for us to live in such a great country. I mean it when I say that...

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

K

1 comment:

JVS said...

Wow!!! You are fast! Go you! Had so so so so so so so so so so (think Ellen show pranks) much fun with you and miss you already! Love you!