Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Old, The Now, and The New

To say that I need to blog is an understatement. I hardly ever get around to blogging and just scrapbooked graduation this week- which only occurred like 2 months ago!! But I'm here now because this Summer-Before-Freshman-Year needs to be remembered.

Graduation really did come and go!



And ever since I walked across that stage, my summer has been go-go-go. From working and babysitting to dorm room shopping and family time, add to that trying to hang out with friends that I may never see again.

It really is a weird feeling. Hugging a friend goodbye that you will never hug again. True, some friends I will see on breaks and such, but others I won't. It's a hard fact to accept, but I'm banking on plenty of new friendships this year. I am ready for some hard 'n true college friends. Lifetime friends.

As for babysitting, too, I often am reminded about how much I will miss many of the families. The kids' excitement when I walk in the door, or reading a book before bedtime, or feeling like I'm funny because they laugh at my jokes. I will miss them all!



I've had a few extra-special gigs, including babysitting Little Miss Mia while her family had a wedding. She was the best 2 year old I have kept, by far, and her family was too sweet. I was able to stay in the hotel with the groom's family and genuinely felt like part of the occasion. All the festivities and joy reminded me of Camille and Quint's wedding weekend.... that was the best!

I met Maddie and Luke and have been babysitting for them often. I literally turned down a handful of babysitting offers from them during the school year, and it finally worked out for me to come. Maddie found my phone on the first day and played all my favorite Disney songs, requesting that I put on a show and dance for them. You know I loved that! Now that I have spent time with them, I am dreading the day I have to say goodbye. They are the kind of kids that light up the room with their soft, sweet giggles. The whole family is an inspiration to me- such great family of faith.

I took Griffin to his baseball game and THEY WON!!! I will not hide my boredom for the sport but when he was up at bat or out there on the field, I just had to watch. Then the minute we got home, what did he do? Ran out back to go practice more! Gotta love this dedicated little athlete. Too bad he won't cheer on the Wolfpack with me this year.

I attended and helped with Olivia's 6th birthday party and was able to watch so many children have the time of their lives. The birthday party was out-of-this-world with caterers, a florist, Ben 'n Jerry's stand, blow-up water slides, huge tents to defy the impeding rain, and tons of happy kiddos!! Made me want to be young again...

...but only for a moment, because college orientation has gotten me all wound up for this next phase of my life!!

We did finally make it to the beach for a week. Honestly, I was so concerned I would get bored being there a whole week in the HEAT without the whole extended family coming this year. But boy, was I wrong! Our final day came, and I still was not ready to leave.

Camille came for the whole week. With Quint back home working, Camille and I had much overdue time to really just talk. I miss her! I miss walking into her room, sitting on her bed, asking advice and sharing stories about the crazies I encounter. I miss having someone to give in to a dessert craving with me. I miss being a sibling- this only child stuff really stinks! Thankfully, tanning in the hot sun gave us plenty of time to catch up on all that's been going on in both our lives. I love my sister and am super ecstatic to be back in the same town soon.

The weather could not have been better. And we had all the favorite foods, and the whole clan even went through 4 cartons of Blue Bell ice cream. Banana Pudding won my vote as the best flavor!!

I think we took all of 5 pictures that week. I always find family beach vacations turn out this way. My version of a relaxing vacation means taking a shower, putting my hair up in a ponytail, and never putting on makeup. Therefore, even I don't whip out the camera. So here is all I got...


After the beach, Hannah and I met up after THREE years apart. Honestly, it's even longer than that. I think we both agreed that sitting together then and there didn't feel like all that time has passed. As one of my best friends from middle school, she and I have reunited to be dorm suitemates. At the end of our night, I left feeling like their will be many more incredible conversations with this girl.

So that's a summer catch-up. The old (graduation), the now (babysitting and beachin'), and the new (college orientation).

The last thing requires a whole post to itself so stay tuned...

K

No comments: