Monday, August 8, 2011

Where? Cincinnati. For Whom? My Heavenly Father.

The last week in July came and went faster than I can even comprehend. God had big plans for me and put me to work in the downtown Cincinnati area. Attending a Youthworks Mission Trip with my best friend Nicole, I was able to further my mission work this summer. The heat was brutal, the days were long, but all in all, I wouldn't trade it for the world. These are memories that will last a lifetime. AND certainly memories that must be documented on here!

Read what you wish!

Sunday-
I woke dark and early at Nana and Papa's to be at the church by 6 for departure. Papa so generously took me there. I met up with Nicole and all the other youth to board the bus. Our drive was long, yet bearable. Lunch at Wendy's, listening to iPods, Reading Huck, and talking with Nicole passed the time nicely. Around 5:30 we arrived after passing 4 Skyline signs. We were given a tour of the church where we'd be staying. BBQ dinner, blowing up air mattresses, youth rules orientation, our first CLUB, some "Bubble-gum, bubble gum" and church discussion quickly filled the remainder of the day. The girls were surprised to be told they could move their air mattresses to sleep in the AC corner of the church. We were thrilled!
I already feel inspired to live this week out for His purpose. We were assigned to our groups; Nicole and I are members of "One" and have been given the seemingly hardest daily site of all. We will be visiting a Boys & Girls' Club in a rough area of town. Our leader Brad distinctly warned us about the potential danger. Tomorrow's motto: Isaiah 54:4 "Do not be afraid, you will not suffer shame."

Monday-
Somehow the AC got set at 52 and those who had only sheets practically froze. Maybe the AC reward was only a "burden in disguise." Alarm went off at 6:15 to be ready for Breakfast Prep (our task of the day). I set up the lunch tables and such. Morning devos and then we were off. Destination: Boys & Girls' Club! Mr. Joe gave us an orientation and tour of the facilities, then I was the first to volunteer for the K-2nd room. You know how much I love kids!! Meeting several faces and coloring really did make the first half of our day pass swiftly. 1 hr. lunch break before Kendall and I managed pool duty. Then a subtraction worksheet that used more brainpower than I have used all summer. Subtraction is hard! Enough went on to open my eyes to the brokenness in this world. These kids' home lives are rough. I have begun to form bonds with many of the kids and am excited to watch them blossom over this week.
A quick stop at the Y for showers and then pasta for dinner. We did as instructed and 'got excited' about going to the Purple People Bridge. By the way, it's a purple bridge... there are no purple people there. That would've been fun to see! As the night went on, it got cooler and thus more relaxing. The best part: we worshiped all along this big stair wall in front of the Ohio River and the passer-bys would stop to listen. Sitting there in front of all of God's creation, singing His praise, was like nothing I'd ever done before. We even sang the classic songs I know! During group discussion back at the church, we discussed what we 'Believe and Don't Believe' regarding our faith. We all have doubts, but I feel blessed to have a faith that doesn't seem to waver. I love how God has planted a seed of assurance within me. Long day, and I was out!

Tuesday-
Breakfast and building clean-up (today's assigned task) began our day. We headed to the Boys & Girls' Club early, and so I did my devotions in a back room before being "attacked" by hugs from the kids. All the kiddos were CA-RAZY today and the morning seemed to last incredibly long. The club has like 1 staffer for every 40 kids. It breaks my heart, yet I know that by us being there we were helping the club to survive, literally. On the plus side, we learned how to 'jerk,' did the tango, played jump rope, and made pipe-cleaner animals. What I've come to realize, which thrills me to no end, is how much these kids LOVE my camera! They ask me endlessly to take their picture and love to look at it on the screen. This must be attention they never receive at home. Another heart breaking realization for me. Today's 'Explore Cinci' activity was the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. It was eye-opening and saddening to know that slavery existed AND STILL EXISTS! For dinner, tacos! And I've been told we were going to Graeter's, but just my luck we didn't. We ended up at United Dairy Farmers, and I endulged in some Moo Blue Cookie Dough ice cream. Yum! I was able to sneak in a phone call to Mommy before Club, which is exactly what I needed. Amanda, one of the college staffers, planned a cute lil' skit to the song "How Does She Know That You Love Her" from Enchanted, stressing how actions speak louder than words. Tonight's discussion was wonderful. I officially know that anything Mr. Brad has to say will be worth my full attention. Bedtime didn't come soon enough. Night!

Wednesday-
Today was by far a better day! Breakfast, breakfast clean-up, and devos in the H-O-T sanctuary this morning. The agenda for today was spiced up a little bit and half of us were able to go to "Our Daily Bread," a soup kitchen in downtown Cinci. Unfortunately, I was chosen to go, but Nicole wasn't. Working the line, serving up cole slaw and salad to all those who need food the most was incredibly rewarding. It was go, go, go and full of "Enjoy"s and "Good Morning"s. We were official, with hair nets and all. For the second half, I wrapped and handed out silverware. Easy but still important. How wonderful it was to watch this volunteer-based organization aid the needy. I met one lady who serves here every Wednesday now that she is retired. I hope to be like her at that stage of life. By lunch, we headed back to the B&GC and several kids were excited to see me! We took a stroll through a near-by market and practically drooled over all the yummy treats. Unfortunately (and fortunately), none of us had money so we just took in the sweet smells and sights. More coloring, getting my hair done, and imitating British accents finished up today's time with the children. I can feel the tiresomeness drift over me about this time each day but a shower and a break does me some good. Thankfully, God had the perfect thing in store to reinvigorate my fire for being in Cincinnati. We attended Tabernacle Baptist Church for the most UPBEAT, UPLIFTING service of my life!! If this doesn't spark a faith fire, I don't know what will. They screamed, jumped, hugged and loved with more enthusiasm than I've ever seen. Back at our home church, group discussion was a big, soppy mess full of tears from all the Benson Memorial kids. People shared heart-wrenching stories regarding forgiveness and even the boys were crying. Letters from their old youth pastor triggered the tears. I sat and watched as one-by-one they broke down into their most vulnerable states. God allows crying so that those who are weak can be noticed and uplifted by those who are stronger. Evidently, all things have a purpose. I shared my personal feeling towards this week, "We all hurt for these kids, but I feel as though God IS working through us into them. He is using us, even more than we realize." A little girl even asked about being saved today. My relationship with Myliyah grew, as well. The Holy Spirit's presence was so easily felt. Last day tomorrow.

Thursday-
Calm awakening, devotions, and then off to "Our Daily Bread" to humbly serve again this morning. Today I was able to have more interaction with the people since I was drying and handing out trays in the line. All of the people were so grateful, and the cutest toddler played 'high-five' with me! Another man chatted endlessly about his motorcycle adventures and time in the Air Force. I believe he should write a book! And then my favorite part of the trip occurred... I'd been craving Skyline since the moment we hit the Cinci limits. Nicole knew it, too, for I talked about it consistently. After consulting Brad about the potential of us going there, he jumped on board and allowed us to go. I felt more than blessed to have been able to go, and introduce a new group of fans (well, mostly). Nicole and Molly loved it, and the others 'tolerated' it for my enjoyment. No raving necessary, I'm just glad they were willing to tag along. Man, did I love my 3-way Chili!! Thanks to Mr. Brad for covering the bill; he surely didn't have to do that. Now feeling as though my trip in Cinci has been PERFECT, I was able to return to the B&GC to see my little friends. We made "Shake Ice Cream" which ended up just being yummy vanilla cold cream, since it wasn't freezing. Regardless, the kids LOVED it. I hadn't seen more smiles the entire time I'd been there. Goodbyes were hard. They fondly wrapped around my legs and begged me not to go. Oh, how I do wish I could bring them all back to Charlotte with me. Our final hoo-rah was at the Price Hill Community Center where we served a charity cookout dinner to the community. Tonight's Club was 'candlelit style' and everyone knew it was going to be more serious, with all levity put aside. Reflection on our impact in Cincinnati was astounding to hear. For the finale, we all participated in one of the most moving and humbling experiences of my life. All the leaders individually washed the students' feet, as did Jesus to his disciples way back when as a sign of service. Brad chose to be my washer and prayed with me afterwards. His words of encouragement and love provided the essential praise I needed to hear, helping me to know that my strong faith is evident in my words and actions. Our final group discussion kept us up past midnight, but it was surely worth it. How amazing this week has been!

Friday-
Woke up, deflated air mattresses, finished packing, and then headed upstairs for final goodbyes and send-offs. We helped dry dishes in the kitchen and had a lil' breakfast. T-shirt time and then by 9:30, we were off. I slept a LOT on the way home, which made the trip seem relatively short. Lunch at Subway and then back to Raleigh by 7:30. If only there were enough words to express my gratitude towards my Heavenly Father for this experience!

Ok, so here are my Chronological Picture Time Lines of the trip. Click to zoom!



Lastly, I must thank my best friend Nicole for allowing me to share this experience with her. How many friends are given this opportunity?? I feel blessed beyond measure to know that I have Nicole as my Christian companion, to consult whenever I need sixteen-year-old-high-school-girl-christian advice. We grew closer through this week, whether we realize it or not. This is a part of our lives that we shared wholeheartedly, putting God first with every step. If that isn't a bonding experience, then there is no such thing! I love you, Nicole. Thank you for helping me grow into the Christian I am today! Please continue to aid my spiritual journey.

After all, God is...
all powerful
almighty
all knowing
revealing
remarkable
astounding
gracious
faithful
protective
and most importantly,
LOVING!

With that,
K

No comments: